Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Many Faces of Carl


Master Analogist (is that a word?)
"Like the Bonsai Masters manipulating the light, pruning, wiring, and watering to change the structure of the tree, the olympic lifts are often tools for coaches to change body alignment and mobility if done right"
from "More thoughts on olympic style weightlifting"

Internet Tough Guy
"I am not an expert on tire flips but when I see poor technique I will call out any guru no matter who it is." from "Tired of Tires"

Mentor
"Instead of writing books and producing crappy DVDs make sure your athletes are not YouTube boobs." from "Tired of Tires"

Name Dropper
"During a personal discussion with Vern Gambetta..." from "Closed Systems, Tangled Hierarchies, Killer Bees"

"This morning I took the drive to Harvard Square to have coffee with Vern Gambetta." from Guru Hunting

Chef
"I know this because I have spent good money improving my own abilities in the culinary arts with the best in private and in small classes." from "Chef Alejo"

Confusing
"My hope is that we will see the adaptation alloys with an understanding on how to exploit the merging of training. " from "Closed Systems, Tangled Hierarchies, Killer Bees"

Obsessed
"My stance is closer to Vern's as Mike's responses were not very convincing".- from Fictional Smoke Screen

"* I do not condone the use of marijuana, hence why I stay away from the joke some in the industry made about Mike and Gray were smoking marijuana with Keiser made hookahs when they talked about joint mobility and stability." from Hard Boyle and Over Cooked?

"Indirect adaptations can be great additions but like the lift photo (1) above they can undue what we are trying to achieve. When athletes look like human question marks when front squatting, I shake my head as you are just like shooting yourself in the foot" Video from Michael Boyle. (2006). Women's Olympic Lifting - Clean [Video: cropped still clips]

"The still shots of the video are prime examples of why glutes need activation outside conventional training." Video from- Michael Boyle. (2006). Women's Olympic Lifting - Clean [Video: cropped still clips]

"Here are my problems with Mike Boyle's warm-up." from Principles of Preparation